Monday, December 3, 2007

Did You Know... EASY it is to dye the flowers in Stampin' Up!'s "Pretties Kit?!?" It is incredibly easy! Those little blooms absorb ink like you wouldn't believe! Here's a birthday card I made for another of my nieces (in November), which uses a couple different techniques to dye the flowers.
This square (4.25 x 4.25") card was made using Chocolate Chip card stock and one of Basic Grey's GORGEOUS Urban Couture papers. It coordinates beautifully with SU!'s Almost Amethyst ink! Taking my color cues from the origami gift box I made for my niece (which I will post next), I stamped the DSP with SU!'s Baroque Motifs set, using CRAFT Almost Amethyst and CLASSIC Basic Brown inks. I never would have put Chocolate Chip, Amethyst, and (esp.)YELLOW together, but the paper tied the color scheme together like a dream!

Of course, for a vintage-y look, one must distress the paper a bit with a distressing tool and some DTP (Direct-to-Paper) inking. Paper piercing, too, adds to the look.

The lovely velvet ribbon on the top L.H. corner is from SU!'s Theatre ribbon collection. Isn't it YUMMY?!? I would buy an entire spool of this stuff, if I could! I used the Key Tag punch for the sentiment papers, and stamped it with the Happy Birthday phrase from Warmest Regards (ret.?).

The largest flower was created with SU!'s scallop punch (Chocolate Chip), 1.25" circle punch (Almost Amethyst), a Prima "lace" flower, and topped off with SU!'s new Build-a-Brad in Pewter (stamped w/Baroque Motifs flower in Basic Brown). WHEW!

The uppermost flower embellishment was created with SU!'s Pretties Kit stick pin, pearl bead, and clear teardrop bead. The small Pretties Kit amethyst flower was next (inked with the amethyst pad and then highlighted on the edges with a marker -- both inks absorb QUICKLY!!!), followed by two more Prima lace collection flowers (cream/script & cocoa). The cocoa flower was rubbed on the Basic Brown pad to bring out its texture more and help tie it in better color-wise.

The smallest flower, on the R.H. side of the bunch, was two of the Pretties Kit flowers, in different sizes, dyed with the Caramel and Amethyst stamp pads. The center is a pearl "stamen" left over from when I made my grandparents' card cake. It was a very fun project -- I hope she likes it!!!

No comments: